Monday, September 20, 2010

We're All Alright!

Okay, if you haven't heard by now, crawl out from under your rock!  No, just kidding.
In all seriousness, the mountain by Mom's house started on fire yesterday afternoon.  By the time we got home from the family dinner at Rebecca's around 8 last night, they were evacuating homes to the south of us.  We got to the house and started packing.  Due to Charly's, Mom's, Candace's, and David's asthma, and Aunt Phyl being on oxygen, we thought it best to just get while the gettin' was good.

It's hard packing in a situation like that.  It's hard to decide what you can't live without, knowing that what you leave behind might not be there tomorrow.  What would you pack in a situation like that???  We quickly grabbed the laptop, the hard drive with most of our pictures on it, our scrapbooks, clothes, other necessities, and things that would comfort and entertain the kids.  I strongly suggest investing in a portable hard drive if you don't have one already.  Take the time to scan all of your photos and memorabilia onto it.  Mom and Aunt Phyl had to leave so much behind because they just couldn't fit it all in.  My other suggestion:  GET ORGANIZED!  Make sure you know where all of your important documents are and that you can get to them in a flash.  I am terrible at this.  I keep thinking that I will get it all done tomorrow.  In fact, that was my plan for yesterday's tomorrow.  Instead, I am sitting in my in-laws kitchen, wishing had this and that.  Wishing I knew where the birth certificates were put when we got our new desk.  Wishing I could find some of the presents that I bought for Cheyenne's birthday tomorrow.

It's pretty heart wrenching, looking at your home and thinking of every memory attached to each thing you have collected over the years, and knowing you can't take it with you.  My heart goes out to the families that did loose their homes.  I am amazed at the outpouring of love and support that has come from the community.  Thank you to everyone that called to check on us.  Due to the masses of people trying to make calls to loved ones, the networks were totally jammed.

Mom, Aunt Phyl, Candace, and David ended up at Uncle Bryce's.  Nate, the girls, and I are at his parent's house.  So much ash got in the motor of our car that it died on the way here.  We had to have Nate's dad tow us to his house.  But we made it here safe and sound.  Nate washed the motor out this morning, so the car is back up and running.

We have been told that we are allowed to go back to our houses to check on it, but they recommend we stay away.  The fire is no where near under control at this time, and due to Herriman's lovely winds, they are concerned about how quickly things can change from minute to minute.

Here are some links so that you can stay up to date if you want.
Local news channel
Herriman City-  They also have maps that show the areas that are mandatory evacuation.
Herriman's Twitter Group

Please keep the families that lost their homes, the brave people fighting the fire and volunteering their time to help those effected, and all those whose houses are still in danger in your prayers.

Thanks for all of your love and concern!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea!! So here I am living under a rock! I will pray for you all! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete